Tuesday 4 February 2014

Living without Mum

So life has a habit of mixing things up. It wasn't meant to be what this blog was about, but it looks like things have changed. Life gets complicated, then it's hard to fit in blogging. But it's just dawned on me that keeping a track now maybe a good thing to do. 

My mum has been diagnosed with suspected Vascular Dementia. A dying off  of parts of the brain due to minature strokes. Her memory is shocking, although she recount stories from 60 years ago, she rarely knows what day it is. She sees cats that aren't there, since her own passed away. And has ridiculous fantasies about things that have happened. Or not.

Tomorrow she is due to have her hip replaced. It's terrifying! How on earth are we all going to cope? I worry that she will be very frightened and not understand.

The strong, independent woman that I knew as my mum, is fast slipping away. What was meant to be my blog about finding myself is, at least for now, about losing my mum. Maybe she'll help me on my own journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment